Report 2014-602 Recommendation 13 Responses
Report 2014-602: High Risk Update—California Department of Technology: Lack of Guidance, Potentially Conflicting Roles, and Staffing Issues Continue to Make Oversight of State Information Technology Projects High Risk (Release Date: March 2015)
Recommendation #13 To: Technology, California Department of
To improve its oversight training, by June 2015 CalTech should continue to implement a consistent and repeatable training plan for IPO analysts, which includes contract management, project assessment, IT systems engineering, and maintaining independence.
Annual Follow-Up Agency Response From November 2017
The new onboarding process training has been developed. IT Projects Quarterly Training Plan will be updated to cover areas identified by the California State Auditor (CSA). Estimated completion date is June 2018.
- Estimated Completion Date: June 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of Annual Follow-Up Status: Partially Implemented
Annual Follow-Up Agency Response From October 2016
In conjunction with CSA'a advice, the ITPOD's plan for implementation includes:
- Develop training priorities for new staff and for continuing staff-in process.
- Identify existing training courses that can be leverage-in process.
- Develop customized content for any additional training course that are needed.
- Finalize curriculum and schedule.
- Seek additional funding, if needed.
- Estimated Completion Date: June 2017
California State Auditor's Assessment of Annual Follow-Up Status: Not Fully Implemented
1-Year Agency Response
As of April 2016, ITPOD will began using a new employee onboarding checklist which will ensure every new IPO manager is provided with the information to perform their work functions and which will be used to plan for the training they will need. (See attachment)
- Completion Date: March 2016
- Response Date: March 2016
California State Auditor's Assessment of 1-Year Status: Partially Implemented
The information CalTech provided does not address how IPO analysts will be trained on an ongoing basis, such as the extent of and timing of required ongoing training and continuing education.
- Auditee did not address all aspects of the recommendation
6-Month Agency Response
Workload and vacancies have impeded progress on the development of this plan. Additional time will be needed to complete it.
- Estimated Completion Date: Jan 2016
- Response Date: September 2015
California State Auditor's Assessment of 6-Month Status: Pending
60-Day Agency Response
Plan for Implementation:
- Develop training priorities for new staff and for continuing staff - in process
- Identify existing training courses that can be leveraged - in process
- Develop customized content for any additional training courses that are needed - not started
- Finalize curriculum and schedule - not started
- Seek additional funding if needed - not started
- Estimated Completion Date: 06/30/2015
- Response Date: May 2015
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Pending
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.