Report 2012-118 Recommendation 4 Responses
Report 2012-118: California Public Utilities Commission: Despite Administrative Weaknesses, It Has Generally Awarded Compensation to Intervenors in Accordance With State Law (Release Date: July 2013)
Recommendation #4 To: Public Utilities Commission
To ensure that it has reliable information concerning its compensation decisions for internal and external reporting, the commission should implement procedures to ensure the accuracy of its award database.
1-Year Agency Response
This recommendation has been fully implemented as reported in the 6-month status report.
- Completion Date: January 2014
- Response Date: July 2014
California State Auditor's Assessment of 1-Year Status: Fully Implemented
6-Month Agency Response
As of December 1, 2013, the Intervenor Compensation Program database (database) was restructured to track additional intervenor request information and NOI information to permit end-to-end tracking of intervenor participation. Procedures have been implemented to regularly update and verify the accuracy of input data. A copy of the procedures for updating and verifying data has been submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completion Date: December 2013
- Response Date: January 2014
California State Auditor's Assessment of 6-Month Status: Fully Implemented
60-Day Agency Response
The ALJ Division has taken the following steps to ensure the accuracy of its award database:
1. The ALJ Division has compiled more than 1300 intervenor compensation claims and related decisions using information from the Commission's Case Information System, bound volumes of decisions, and hard copy and digitized decision archives. A quality assurance review of this data is currently underway to ensure 100% accuracy.
2. The ALJ Division is restructuring the format of the awards database to include NOI information for more complete "end-to-end" tracking of intervenor participation, and will be implementing the restructured database during the coming months.
3. The ALJ Division added staff to perform quality assurance review of data entered into the database, and is establishing written procedures for performing quality assurance reviews (the draft procedures memo has been submitted to email@example.com).
4. On August 8, 2013, the ALJ Division obtained a copy of corrected database information prepared by the State Auditor and will use this information to cross-check the accuracy of data in the database.
- Estimated Completion Date: April 2014
- Response Date: September 2013
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Partially Implemented
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.