Business Services Assistant
Who are we?
Californians rely on us—the California State Auditor—to ensure the effective and efficient use and management of public funds and programs. We provide nonpartisan, accurate, and timely assessments of California government's financial and operational activities. Our work results in truthful, balanced, and unbiased information with recommendations for actions that lead to improving government operations.
Why should you join us?
- You want to work in a professional environment with a team dedicated to making a difference for Californians and future generations.
- You are highly collaborative and customer service oriented.
- You have a strong work ethic and thrive when working under pressure.
- You desire an annual salary range of $36,096 - $55,236.*
What is the position?
As the Business Services Assistant, you are responsible for providing facilities support and conducting purchasing and procurement activities on behalf of the office. You will also provide administrative support, including reception desk coverage, and will interact with all levels of staff, the public, and various vendors. You must possess the ability to develop and foster good working relationships, and the ability to lift and carry items weighing 25 pounds or more from time to time.
What will you do?
- Prepare training room, including set-up of audio/video equipment, furniture and training materials; set up conferences, webinars, and video record events.
- Assist in the disposition of obsolete, damaged, or unneeded items in accordance with State and office policies.
- Create purchase orders and draft purchasing justifications; monitor the status of purchase documents; and work with vendors and customers throughout the purchasing process.
- Conduct weekly inventories of supply rooms and order, receive, and distribute supplies as needed.
- Cover the reception desk during breaks, lunch periods, meetings, and upon receptionist's absence. Receive, screen, respond to or forward phone calls to appropriate staff; greet visitors in a professional manner, monitor the main entrance for visitors and process and distribute incoming mail.
- Conduct new employee orientation by providing office and building tours, setting up desks, telephones, cardkeys, coordinating new employee paperwork, and providing new employees with necessary office supplies.
Who are you?
- You have the ability to work 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- You can lift, carry, load, and unload boxes, supplies, equipment, and other materials weighing 25 pounds or more.
- You have experience working well under pressure and maintaining focus with frequent interruptions.
- You possess excellent work habits including dependability, good attendance, and punctuality.
- You have the ability to develop strong working relationships and to interact with individuals at all levels in a professional manner.
- You have the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- You have knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, capitalization, and sentence structure.
- You have experience answering, screening and transferring multiple incoming phone calls and an excellent command of phone etiquette.
- You have knowledge of modern office methods and equipment, including experience with personal computers utilizing Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- You have the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- You have experience ordering goods and services.
- You have experience providing facilities and equipment support.
How do I join?
The California State Auditor is part of the merit-based California civil service selection system. To complete this process, you must do the following:
- Take the State exam for this position. If you are a current state employee with transfer eligibility, you can skip this step.
- Submit a completed State of California job application (STD. 678).
- Provide answers to the following questions. Your response will help us determine who to interview for the position. Create a document using a word processing application such as Microsoft Word. We will not consider applications that do not include responses to the questions.
- What experience do you have in providing administrative support for facilities, equipment, or procurement requests?
- Describe why you believe you would be a good fit for this position.
You can submit your complete application package via your CalCareer account or by mail:
California State Auditor
Human Resources Office
621 Capitol Mall, Suite 1200
Sacramento, California 95814
Current state employees with eligibility are encouraged to apply. Failure to submit the required documentation may result in disqualification from the hiring process.
* Willing to consider the Office Technician (Typing) (OTT) classification for recruitment purposes. The annual salary for an OTT is $38,868 to $48,636. The examination for this level can be found at CalHR's website.
The Fine Print:
Any applicant receiving a conditional job offer will be subject to a background check, fingerprinting and an inquiry to the California Department of Justice to disclose criminal records prior to appointment. State Auditor's Office employees are excluded from collective bargaining. The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation. It is an objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state work place. Any applicant for state employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the state, the rules governing civil service and the special trust placed in public servants.